Campaignepesaukah banner 2
Peter Murphy (Incumbent) | Age: 39
- Occupation: Attorney
- Website: chattanooga.gov/city-council
- I’m seeking reelection because … “I want to improve Chattanooga and particularly District 9. We need to continue the incredible momentum of the last four years in our improvements in public safety, neighborhood renewal and increased citizen involvement in our community.”
- Pulse Intern Rating: Accessibility: 7 | Responsiveness: 9 | Earnestness: 9 | Pleasant/Eager to Talk: 10 | Perception: 9
Yusuf Hakeem | Age: 64
- Occupation: Recently resigned appointment by former Gov. Phil Bredesen as state parole board member, former councilman
- Website: yusufhakeem.net
- I’m running because … “Residents, labor and business leaders approached me expressing the need for better leadership. They want a representative who creates real change, getting people to jobs and jobs to people, someone who continues small business development through the chamber, Urban League and other groups. And crime and safety must be more than a talking point.”
- Pulse Intern Rating: Accessibility: 4 | Responsiveness: 7 | Earnestness: 6 | Pleasant/Eager to Talk: 4 | Perception: 4
- The Hamilton County Election Commission allowed Hakeem to stay on the ballot despite questions over his failure to provide campaign finance records regarding $33,000 left over from previous campaign funds. Hakeem’s website announces only his November 2012 campaign kick-off. There is no email or phone contact information on his fliers or on the Internet. Wouldn’t even look me in the eye or open his mouth, just handed me some fliers (our intern reports).
- Editor’s note: ’Nuff said.
—Pulse interns Gaby Dixon, Julia Sharp and Esan Swan contributed mightily to this project. The comments following their ratings are their own and do not reflect the opinion of The Pulse. The editor’s notes are his own opinions and do not reflect those of Brewer Media, but do reflect those of The Pulse.