It seems like every time you turn around, you hear about an event, a fund-raiser, or a sporting event raising money for a local charity or non-profit.
Americans, by and large, have built a well-deserved reputation for being generous with both our time and our money.
So, we checked in with our friends at the Statistic Brain Research Institute to find out just how charitable we really are.
- Percent of Americans give to charity each year: 70%
- Percent of income given by Americans to charities each year: 3%
- Number of people who said they volunteer annually: 68.2 million
- Number of hours people volunteer annually: 12.9 billion
- Amount donated by individuals annually: $222.9 billion
- Annual amount foundations give to non-profits: $39.5 billion
- Annual amount corporations, including corporate foundations, give to non-profits: $14.9 billion
- Annual value contributed to the US economy by non-profits: $666.1 Billion
- Annual revenue received by non-profits: $1.1 trillion
That's a whole lot of giving. And it's very appreciated.
Photo by Marco Michelini