One of the biggest debates occurring right now in American politics is about immigration.
Which has been a major debate in American politics basically since the founding of the country, to be honest.
So, what are the facts about immigration? Our friends at the Statistic Brain Research Institute checked with the U.S. Census Bureau to find out.
- Percent of U.S. foreign-born population: 27%
- Total U.S. population that live outside their country of birth: 189 million
- Percent of first generation U.S. born Mexicans that speak English proficiently: 80%
- Percent of first generation U.S. born that speak English proficiently: 88%
- Total percentage of immigrant children that are U.S. citizens: 75%
- Total number of illegal immigrants employed in the U.S.: 7.7 million
Facts are facts, but how people use those facts are up to them.