Self-Checkout Usage Statistics
Once upon a time, in a simple era, you trundled your grocery cart up to the check-out line and and let the cashier sort and ring up your purchases.
Then along came the self-checkout...and the world was changed. At least according to the stats compiled by the good folks at the Statistic Brain Research Institute.
- Percent of those aged 35 & younger who have used a self-checkout: 91%
- Percent of those from 36–50 who have used a self-checkout: 85%
- Percent of those aged 51 & older who have used a self-checkout: 82%
- Total self-checkout spending per year worldwide: $197,000,000,000
- Number of self-checkout stations in the U.S.: 122,000
- Percent who said they prefer self-checkout stations to avoid waiting in line: 52%
And then there's the most important stat of all: Percent increase in theft using self-checkout: 20%