Yes, we drink a lot of coffee. A LOT of coffee.
In honor of our annual Coffee Issue, we decided to check in with our friends at the Statistic Brain Research Institute for some completely random stats about America's favorite beverage.
The results—like a good cup of coffee—were a real eye-opener.
- Total percentage of Americans over the age of 18 that drink coffee everyday: 54%
- Total percentage of coffee drinkers who prefer their coffee black: 35%
- Total percentage of coffee consumption that takes place during breakfast hours: 65%
- Total amount of money spent by importing coffee to U.S. each year: $4 billion
- Total amount of cups of coffee (9 ounces) a coffee drinker consumes daily: 3.1
- Total average of money spent on coffee each year by coffee drinkers: $164.71
- Total number of U.S. daily coffee drinkers: 100 million
- Total number of daily coffee drinkers who drink specialty beverages (lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, etc.): 30 million
- Total amount of coffee drinkers who claim to need a cup of coffee to start their day: 60%
- Total percentage of coffee drinkers who say coffee makes them feel more like their self: 54%
- Total amount of yearly money spent on specialty coffee in the U.S.: $18 billion
So sip on these facts while enjoying your next cup of hot joe.